Sunday, September 6, 2009

School!!!

As the title suggests, school has started. And, of course, the smart people are rushing around to get everything together in order to beat the rush of last minute shoppers,( like me :-) ).

We also got the sister out of the state and into the big wide world we all like to call Cali. (Hey Jess!) She's going for fashion merchandising, while p.s. and I hang with the parental units, and state in the lovely hot Texas, pursuing more scholarly things.

Classes that we are taking this year are:

AP U.S. History
AP English III
Honors Anatomy and Physio (Just me)
Physics
and some other classes that I have no idea about. (It's the weekend, give me a break.)

Knitting has been in hibernation as the school year begins, so not much to show you there. It's all kind of sporadic, but I do have a lovely surprise for myself that is on my ravelry page that hasn't been updated in a very long while.

I find that as I write more on this blog my typing gets faster, and also my punctuation gets a wee bit better. It's all much easier now.

Anyway, there really isn't much to talk to you all about. But I do have a new phone :-) (hey, I'm a kid,with no job, what can I say, pretty shiny new phones are my thing at the moment)

By the way, I read a book that I thoroughly hated this summer. 'The Grapes of Wrath', while a great literary work is a little on the boring side for this poor teenager. The book was generally depressing with a side of incrediblity. To read about what happened at that timeperiod, it's rather depressing. To compare a human to an animal repeatedly, it was dehumanizing and gives me all the more reason to be antisocial. (Which I am very good at.) But really the book made p.s. talk with a heavy accent the entire week after reading it. And it was so heavily enveloped with Biblical Allusions that it was hard to get everything.

But the entirety of the book was overly depressing and the style overly simplistic.

Now, a delicious read that I read my freshman year is Margaret Atwood's 'The Handmaid's Tale'. Now, that is a good read. It has that touch of sophistication, that makes you want to eat dark chocolate while you read, it has the drama that hooks you from the beginning, the mystery that makes your heart race at the very end, and the storyline that keeps you interested throughout the book. It is compelling and this book is gorgeously written, dark and rich, and vivid. I loved it.

But, it has a few twists in there that makes it not for the faint of heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment